Sunday, February 3, 2013

Family Matters



After nine hours on the clock today, I called Grandma asking how they were and what they are doing for the Superbowl tonight.  While I wasn’t really interested in such a superficial game, I knew this was one of those times that Sean was slightly regretting that we decided to cancel our cable in Mid-December because it was just too expensive. It was mostly because there was just nothing on.
Well Grandma invited us out for supper and to watch the game with her. When we got out to the farm, and every time we go out to the farm, it reminds me of all of those childhood memories from the summers spent with my grandma.
When pulling into the drive way, the garage is the first thing you see, then the bright robin egg blue house.  This house has been the gathering place for every holiday, family event, and big moment for as long as I can possibly remember.
Grandma’s kitchen might as well open up as a restaurant in Harbine. She always has three or four entrees for each meal. Christmases always include full counters and extremely full tummys. We always say that if you leave grandma’s hungry, it’s your own dang fault. Almost a hundred percent of the time, the first words out of Grandma’s mouth after you walk in the door include, “Are you hungry?” But you are required to say yes. Everyone knows that you don’t eat if you know you are going out to grandma’s.
I still remember many summers spent here, running from barn to buildings, jumping on hay bales, and over fences. My uncle, who is four years older than I am, and I spent a ton of time playing “war.” (The irony). We would spend days and days during the summer running around in the fields, playing near the water shed, and carrying around plastic weapons.
Looking back now, I miss these days. I miss being really young and not having a single care in the world, but mostly I miss spending so much time with my family. As I have gotten older, I have started working a lot more and being more involved with other things. I have missed out on a ton of family opportunities that I can never get back.
This post really isn’t about anything in particular.  Mostly just a reminder about how important family is. I love my family.
Not to mention my mom and dad have been the best parents I could ever ask for. They have done the most wonderful things I could ever possibly ask for.  They have always encouraged me to do whatever my heart desires which included dance, gymnastics, soccer, photography, fair projects, volunteering, reading, and most importantly, the military.
My dad has helped me in each and every dream that I have had. He has been the greatest role model as a father that I could have ever asked for. But, as every father should and most importantly, he taught me how a man should treat a woman by the simple way that he treats my mother. He showed me what to expect out of a guy. I could never ask for anything more than that. For this, I will always be extremely grateful.
My mom has given me the ability to stand on my own two feet as a woman. She has shown me the confidence to stand up for what I believe in and to not let anyone every walk all over me. She has given me the dream of someday helping people with whatever I end up doing. This is the reason that I have decided that I want to go into psychology as my major at UNL next year. I hope to find a job helping substance abusers within the military. Many soldiers that have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or some form of Post-Deployment problem feel that alcohol will be the answer. I want to help these people. I want to find a way to incorporate Drug and Alcohol Counseling with the Military in some form. My mom has always taught me that if you have a plan, and you have the will, somehow it will get done.
I want to express how lucky I am for every family member that I have.  I challenge each one of you that read this to spend more time with your family. I know that I take each and every advantage that I can to spend time with my mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, and brothers.
I can’t wait to go see Zach, Nick, and Casey in a couple weeks! The first time all four of us have been together in 8 years.. But finally we will be together.
For a last note, you don’t really know what you have until you think you might be losing it. So don’t wait until that last moment. When you move out, you realize how much your family means to you and how important it is to talk to them. 

Also I just needed to add that I have the cutest little brother EVER!------->>













2 comments:

  1. Keep on blogging! I keep reading! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started to think back to when i really remember going out to the farm. i remember the smell the barns,running in the fields and great grandma food, and just being with family. I am really glad that you are blogging cause it gives me great memories.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10