Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Money Savings Tips #1

   This blog is an extra one for the day to make up for all the days that I have been slacking off. It was started a while ago and when I come across something, I open up my blog and type it in there. Finally, I think I have finished this one at least.  I am hoping to make this a series of posts, but one step at a time.

  Being young and working for every single penny that I earn. It is important to make sure that it all goes to something worth while. Right now, I am all about money saving.

  Someday, years and years from now, (meaning after I graduate college and have a full time job) I really really want to buy a house. I'd like to be able to pay for it all in full. (I'm talking years and years)
    My mom and dad have been really good about teaching me how to save money. When I was in 6th grade, I remember my mom taking me down to the daily sun for me to get a paper route. I also remember the day the day that I received my first good check from that paper route. My mom took me down to First National Bank to open up a savings account. To this day, I still have the savings account, and let me tell you, its more than it was when I started delivering papers. My parents always made me put about half of the check into savings. I am very thankful that they made me put that money away instead of wasting it away on little things. The other half of my check was up to me. I usually put more than half away, but I used the money to go skating (Way back when that was still THE thing to do.)

    I have started looking for little things that I could save money on. All those dollars really add up in the long run.

Here are my favorites:

  • Finding Clothing at Goodwill: Clothes that people just got rid of, some can actually be cute. I know a lot of people feel like they are too good for them, but with a sewing machine and pinterest, who knows what your closet will turn out to look like.
  • Drink water: It's free and it is better for your health! Drinking a cold glass of water, once an hour, increases your metabolism which helps you lose weight faster.
  • Have a budget and stick to it! The most important thing is to know where your money is going every month. Knowing where it goes is the first step to make cutbacks in your budget and find out where you could be saving money.
  • Cut the cable. Most people pay anywhere from 20-50+ dollars a month for cable and there is still NOTHING on TV  We switched to only having Netflix and Hulu. (Sports fans, I DO NOT recommended) I will admit, I do miss Big Bang Theory and NCIS, but that's why I go to my parent's house.
  • Stop paying for prepackaged snacks: Buying the big containers of snacks and little Ziploc baggies is soo much cheaper in the long run. Also, many snacks, have a homemade recipe somewhere on the internet. If you have the time, making them can be WAY cheaper.
  • Instead of stopping at the gas station for a pop every day, going to buy the 2 liters at Walmart (Priced at 1.25) and reuse a bottle or buy a water bottle (As cheap as $1.00) That would 1. Save you time in the morning. and 2. save money because I can guess that most mornings, you don't just get the pop. Probably a donut or a slice of breakfast pizza. Then some gum, and some candy for later. So that 1.10 pop probably ends up costing you around 4 or 5 dollars for a majority of the mornings.
  • ALWAYS shop online before making big purchases or DVDs, Video Games, books because most the time you can find it cheaper online than you can at Walmart.
  • Pinterest. If you don't have it already and are avoiding getting it because of the time you will spend not doing the other things you need to do. I would suggest getting it. I have severely cut back on how much time I spend on pinterest, but I have found recipes for making your own Windex  laundry soap, dish soap, homemade foods instead of buying a product, and so many other things. Pinterest is a great way to find everything you could ever use online and keeping it bookmarked. 
  • Make your own house cleaners. My mom made us a HUGE bucket of laundry soap for Christmas  we have been using it since and still have over half a bucket. It is great because we haven't had to buy laundry soap (Which starts adding up quickly) since Christmas! 
  • Make your razors last forever! (I found this on a website, I haven't tried it, but this is what I found) http://www.wisebread.com/want-to-keep-your-dispoable-razor-blades-sharp-use-your-arm
  • Now, this is probably the biggest thing I have seen debated all over the internet. To use cash or to use your card. I prefer cash when I can. Personally, it is harder for me to hand over 45 dollars in cash than it is for me to swipe my card and spend it. Although I do agree that sometimes cash isn't practical and that each has their benefits. One thing I do like about my card is that I can see where I spend my money and exactly how much I spend without saving all of my receipts. This is something for each person to decide, but if you use cash, I highly recommend that you find a mason jar and place all your spare change there. That money can be used as a big purchase savings (ie. Sean and I put all our change together. We just cashed it in and are now planning our trip to Cincinnati, Ohio. No it isn't going to pay for all of it, but it ended up being close to 65 dollars that we wouldn't of had otherwise)
  • If you are going to use a card (I don't follow this one) but if you can, I suggest looking for a great rewards card (ie. Cash back, sign up bonuses etc.)  I shall start looking soon. (This is the next goal on my list of things to do.)
  •  Research says that using separate bank accounts (One for Emergency, Bills, Savings, and a Slush Fund) is the best way to save some money. A lot of things that I have read talk about automatic withdraws into the separate accounts. (At McD, they just give us our checks, but I have been considering opening a bank account for all of my military pay where I can't see or touch it. That way I have the funds, but I never add that in for what I have) I am not really sure that separate banks accounts is the best idea, but if it works for some than it may work for others. Maybe some day! 
    Here are the firsts. I'm hoping to slowly come up with more ideas to save money, other than on groceries. (I got the groceries down) Please! If you have a way you save money, comment and let me know! You may just see it in a follow up blog post like this one! I would love to see more comments on my blog posts for feedback and other ideas!

1 comment:

  1. very good article, here is a few more ideas, check your checking account daily or every other day, why?
    This way you know what you have in it and what has gone thru. If you have ever read Suzi Ormans, 9 steps to financial freedom she tells you to do this daily. I have caught fraud on my account just recently last December, someone had ordered a coat from the NFL shop on line for $164.00 I was able to dispute this, close my account, make a police report and have the ordered canceled all with a matter of hours, and I didn't loose a single penny.
    I have $25.00 taken out of our main account an put into savings every Tuesdays, banks can get this set up for you.
    Have alerts sent to your phone to remind you to pay a bill so your bills aren't late. If you can't make them at least call the place an talk to them.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10