Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Happiness


  I just finished reading a book called The Happiness Project: Why I Spent A Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean my Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin.
    The book is an overall research project about what it takes to be happy, what makes you happy and what you can do to make yourself happier. She has an overall resolution for each month, and a couple small goals that fit in to each of them. One month, her overall goal is to boost her energy. For that month, she tracks the things that she does, such as gets more sleep, exercises regularly, organize, and just plain act more energetic. They say that you feel the way you act, and you act the way you feel. Each month she goes through what works and what doesn't. (GREAT! book if you have the time to read it. Ironically, I think I found this in a stack of books that my mom had once started, but never finished.) 

When I googled "Happiness" and looked at the images, there were pictures of smiley faces, quotes about smiling more and feeling happy, but to me, a yellow face with black eyes and mouth doesn't really define happiness. Webster's dictionary defines happiness as "The state of being happy, or an experience that makes you happy." Below it there was also "a state of well being or contentment." That didn't really help me either. 


Here is My Goal:
  I want to do something similar. I am going to start on April 1st, and I will be tracking my progress on my blog! I want FEEDBACK! In the next 2 weeks, I am going to be putting together the background for each month and what I am going to be doing for those months. 
Here is my question for the day? 

Simply, What is happiness to you? What makes you happy? What are the things that make you smile? 

Answer it on Facebook, in the comments or shoot me an email at Elylyons2013@gmail.com. Please. I am really interested to hear what people have to say as I start to shape my thoughts about this project. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10