Thursday, August 14, 2014

Picture "Canvas" for the Wall!


After getting everything moved in and completing the list of 10 Things to Do After Moving to a New City, I am excited to be getting some home decorating done! I am also so excited about this project! I have done three of them and they have all turned out great! My goal for the new apartment was to decorate and make it feel like home after we finally got moved in. Matt could not care less about what is on the walls, but I do. I love decorating and having everything colorful. I have been working on the dining room and the living room the most, but my next goal is the bathroom and bedroom.

I decided that I wanted to have quotes hanging on the walls, but I didn't want to pay $25+ for the decorative signs that you can find on the internet.


I use Photoshop to create the logos for my blog, so it was super easy to make these signs. All you need is the board, spray paint of chosen color, Mod Podge, foam brush, and the picture. Also, think about how you plan to hang the picture up while you are shopping. There are a ton of great ways to do this!

I chose to do 12x18 "canvases" I went to Lowe's and got some of the thin plywood. I would recommend considering how you are going to hang the board on the wall when you are purchasing it. I think I spent 4 dollars on a big piece, which gave me 2 boards this size and two smaller ones which I am still contemplating what to do with.

I ordered the print online from Wal-Mart and spent a little over 7 on it, but there are coupons up for same day pick up on poster sizes.


Since we have so much room in our apartment, I just laid a trash bag on the balcony so I could spray paint it without getting anywhere. Cardboard works as well. 

I painted the sides and the front of the board (in case the picture shows through). After doing two I would recommend also painting the backs of the board. 


I folded the trash bag in half and brought it inside to put the picture on there. 

First, I put mod podge under where the picture is going, then stuck the picture down.


Then I covered the entire picture with mod podge and let it dry. I used a simple picture frame hanger from Wal-Mart and put it on the back of the board.




Two of them are hanging on the walls, one in the living room and one in the dining room. One of them that I have done I gifted to a friend for their wedding. 




You wouldn't have to just do quotes on them. Pictures would also be super easy and there may be one to come with that. I finally got the collage up on the wall and I am extremely excited to fill it with pictures. Matt and I got professional pictures done by one of the girls in my unit. I am excited to get them back and put together the collage completely. 

Have you done a project like this? How did it turn out? Share your results!

Check out all of the other Try It Out Thursdays! 

2 comments:

  1. I was just trying to come up with a creative gift for a newlywed. This'll be a perfect to the gift basket I have planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey,
      That's great! These are so fun and easy to make! The possibilities are truly endless and they are so much cheaper than buying wall art!

      Delete

01 09 10