Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Egg McMuffins at Home


 Wow, It has been a crazy couple of weeks around here. I had drill last weekend (and it kicked my butt). I have been working about 15 hours a week now (budget is tighter than ever) and I have been spending as much time as I can at my grandparents farm to spend time with my grandpa. Between all of that and Sean being in school and working about 25 hours a week, our lives are crazy..
   Well, now that Sean has started school, he is on the go for breakfast almost every day. He just doesn't have time to sit down and eat a bowl of cereal (We don't buy milk either so cereal is kinda out of the question anyway..)
    I've been spending some time on pinterest looking for ideas for breakfast. We don't have time to sit down and make pancakes and all of that every morning and we don't have the grocery budget to buy a ton of prepackaged, chemical added, frozen breakfast sandwiches. I have come up with a couple good ideas so far, and I'm slowly trying each one of them.


     Even though I have worked at McDonald's for almost 3 years, it has not stopped me from liking our egg muffins! I LOVE our Sausage Muffins. So after spending sometime on pinterest I realized that I could easily make some ahead of time, toss them in the freezer with a paper towel around them, and microwave them in the mornings for us.

Here is a printable version of this recipe!


 I used:
Tomas Muffins (Bought at the Bread Store)
6 Eggs
6 Slices of Cheese
6 Slices of Ham (about 2 or 3 slices per muffin
3 pieces of Turkey sausage (Not Pictured)










First, I cracked the eggs into muffin tins.
I broke the yolk just enough so it would bake all the way through.









 Preheat oven to 350 and bake the eggs for about 10-25 minutes. That seems like a huge range, but it really depends upon the muffin tin you are using.

When I made them, it took about 15 minutes. I suggest not using a small muffin tin like I did. Our eggs turned out fitting really small on the muffin. The goal is to have the egg smaller width wise. It should be relatively flat.





While the eggs were in the oven, I baked the muffins just a little bit. I spread them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven with the eggs.

I have read that you can also use a toaster and that works just as good.









After the eggs were fully cooked, I assembled the muffins. I made three of them with sausage and the other three with ham.


Then, (Not Pictured) I baked them for about 3-5 minutes after they were completely assembled. After taking them from the oven I let them cool on the counter for about 20 minutes.

After that I wrapped them in paper towels and placed them into 2 freezer safe bags. (One marked ham, one marked sausage)










For reheating, I just about 2-3 minutes. I flipped the muffin over half way through.

These are great for in the mornings.











Price Breakdown 

Muffins:                        1.25                        (At Breadstore in Beatrice)
Ham:                            1.55                        (while at BOGO Free-Regular at 3.10)
Cheese:                         1.98                         (Heartland Grocery Store)
Eggs:                               .89                         (For half dozen eggs)

Total:                          5.67
Per Muffin:            95 CENTS!!

McDonald's Savings:      2.66   -  .95   =  1.71 savings per muffin!! 
    On 6:                      15.96   -  5.67  = 10.29!!!! 

What a great way to save some money if you are one of those people who eats a sausage egg muffin on the way to work almost every morning of the week (or even 1 or 2)

These are also great for kids! What a yummy treat to get them to eat breakfast, not to mention they have a lot of the needed food groups in just one sandwich (Meat, grains, dairy)


And! They are pretty healthy. (Well.. The egg muffins actually don't save you that many calories.. Only about 40 calories..)  BUTT.. When using turkey sausage you save about 140 calories. They save you a ton of sodium as well. If you use a lower calorie cheese or muffin you can mix it up and make them for pretty low calories.


(But with that kind of savings who can argue with that!)
They only took me about 45 minutes to make (while I was doing a couple other things!)




Did you try this at home and find something that worked better? Let me know what you are doing at home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10