Tuesday, May 20, 2014

UP, UP and AWAY!

When someone suggests that you go on a 24 hour flight. Think about it deeply before you jump on the idea.
   We flew from:
            Omaha to Detroit: 1 hr 23 minute flight
            Detroit to Amsterdam: 7 hour and 35 minute flight
            Amsterdam to Cape Town: 11 hour and 10 minute flight.


We had about an hour layover in Detroit and ended up running through the airport to our next gate. In Amsterdam, we had about a 2 hour layover. These are not long enough layover for flights this long

So needless to say, the flights were extremely long and really the only thing I did was watch movies and sleep. I watched The Lego Movie, Acts of Valor, The Awkward Moment, and part of Frozen.
It was so boring and our take offs and landings were a little rough, but other than that, the flights were okay.
          We did spend a lot of time to ourselves and it gave me a lot of time to think. I am super thankful that I have a supportive family and boyfriend to help me do this. This is an experience of a lifetime and I really couldn’t have done it without them. Thanks Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Matt.

          I also can’t believe how much I miss my family though. I mean, I love them dearly. But last summer I spent 12 weeks at AIT and the summer before that I spent a 11 weeks at Basic with no contact to my family, so why is 2 1/2 weeks so hard. I am so excited to be here, but I will be thankful to be back in the United States, where I know what is going on. I feel misplaced here. The culture is a lot different and I haven’t really figured it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10