Monday, August 11, 2014

Post 1 of 3: What Strengths Training Did For Me



I want to apologize to anyone who talks to me on a daily basis for anytime in the future. I have just completed the strengths training through the TeamMates and Gallup partnership! So bare with me if you have no idea what I am talking about or if you think I am a little crazy.

This is my first post of the series. There will be two more coming up, so make sure you look out for them!

   My first reaction to my strengths when I took the strength finder was "My mom has these on her top 5 and I am just like my mom, so why don't I have them on my top 5." I didn't know why I wasn't a Maximizer and I thought for sure that I would be a Woo. I think that I was almost disappointed with my top 5 because they weren't what I was expecting, but after reading through the definitions of each of my top 5, I understood immediately what those strengths looked like within me.

Input: People who have a high theme of input have a craving to know more. Often archive all kinds of information.

Learner: These people have a high desire to learn and continuously improve. Typically enjoy the learning process more than the outcome of it.

Discipline: Very focused and pleased by routine and structure.

Significance: Often want to be very important in others eyes. They are independent and want to be recognized.

Achiever: they work hard and posses a great deal of stamina. They take satisfaction with being productive and busy

Now, I have to say that when I first say the significance, I HATED it. I didn't like the idea of needing the approval of others. I didn't want to have significance on my top 5.

After I completed the actual day of training, I realized why I have significance. My mom is a maximizer, which means that good can always be great. This often left me feeling like I wasn't good enough. I was doing so many things in high school. I was working full time and involved in every club in high school, but I always felt like there should be one more thing that I should be doing on top of everything. I still have that feeling, but it is not nearly as strong. Thankfully, my mom being a maximizer led me to a great resume and lots of scholarships, but it also fed my significance strength.

Now that I look at each, individual strengths. It's obvious. I understand who I am and why I do some of the odd things that I do.

Input: I have every single note I have taken since 8th grade science, because I might need that information or someone else might need it. In fact, I just used all of my notes from Freshman Biology and AP Biology during Spring semester this year for my biology class. Conveniently, we did a lot of the same labs.

Learner: I could read for DAYS if people and real life wouldn't interrupt me. I have a list in the back of every single notebook from conferences and discussions of books that people mention for me to read. Will I read them, yes. Maybe some of them. But having that list of books I want to read is the way I am going to learn.

Discipline: Military. nuff said. I crave a day to day schedule and I crave to know what is happening the next day.

Significance.. This mostly relates to my military as well. I go out of my way to do a lot of stuff for people, just for a simple thank you. I often get frustrated when I am not appreciated or my hard work goes unnoticed.

Achiever: This I get from my mom. Some call it a hard work ethic. Some call it an over achiever. I have been called both.


Names that I have been called to make my strengths seem negative:
  • Nosy
  • Brown Noser
  • Know it All, Nerd
  • Control Freak
  • Too Organized
  • OCD
  • Suck Up
  • Over Achiever.

     The strengths training made me realize that the names that I have been called, are not a bad thing about me. They are a good thing. They are what makes me, Me! (: I am uniquely me.
   I also learned that it is a 1 in 1.33 million chance that you share the exact same top 5 in the same order. That makes me unique.


How would you feel after learning why you do some of the weird things that you do. How could this help you as an adult or how could it have helped you in 3rd/4th grade. What about high school?

Input: Always looking things up
Learner: Blocks that you use to start learning your letters
Discipline: 12 pt Font. Times New Roman
Significance: Biggest font, bright yellow, Underlined
Achiever: A very busy font


If you are interested in this strengths finder, all you have to do is go to this website. There is a fee of a little less than $10, but it is well worth it. After completing the questions, the site will reveal your top 5 and give you the information about them. 
    This is a great thing to use to figure out what your strengths are and how you can use them to benefit you! 


Have you already done the strengths finder? What are your top 5 and how did they help you!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10