Friday, July 11, 2014

Name Canvas: For a Rainy Day



I have spent many hours searching for ideas to decorate the apartment walls. I have done some pretty cool stuff this week and I am super excited to share them all with my readers! 


Sometime in April, I did this craft with my TeamMate mentee, but I did my name. Ours turned out super cool and we had so much fun with them! She finger painted hers, but I chose to use a brush on mine so I could hang it in my apartment once I finally moved in. 


As I was trying to decide where to hang it up, I decided that Matt needed one so we could hang them up next to each other! This became my Sunday afternoon/Monday project. 


I started off with a white canvas. Size is really up to you and where you are going to put it. I used one that I had in my closet from the crayon art a while back, but this is really up to you!



First, I used Blue Painter's Tape to tape off the name. You could do a name, an encouraging word, or any kind of design. I was thinking about doing another one that has stripes. 
When you are taping it off, you want to make sure that you get the tape stuck down around the edges really well or the paint will get under it. 


Then, I used acrylic paint to paint the rainbow on mine. I only bought red, yellow, and blue, which worked great because I could mix the colors to be whatever I wanted. (Also could be a great primary color teaching moment). You can paint whatever design you want to on it. Definitely doesn't have to be rainbow like these. 

Have fun with it, You could paint it all one color to match a room theme or multicolored. 


I let mine dry on the deck for a while, but I also let it dry overnight to make sure that none of the paint was going to smear, or make a mess as I took the paint off. 

Next came the hanging process. I got simple hooks from Wal-Mart to put on the back of the canvas. I didn't put the nail all the way through, to keep it from going through the canvas on the other side, but it still hangs up pretty well. 


Here is the finished project hanging side by side on the wall! Looks GREAT! 




My mentee is in 3rd grade and she did well with this project, but use your parental digression for younger kids. If you are helping them, the only important part to paint is right around the tape!



Did you try it out and do something different? How did it work out for you? Did you hang them differently? How did you do it!
Thanks for a great, first Try It Out Thursday!
Come back next week for another great home decorating project!






No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10