Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Why I Meal Plan!

I know there is a lot out there on the benefits to planning out meals at least a week in advance, so I thought I would add my two cents into it. I love meal planning, but I don't necessarily do it the way that everyone else does. When I meal plan, I just list enough meals for 2 weeks and then we kinda go by week. I normally figure out what we are having the for supper the night before so I know if I need to prep anything or make sure something is ready to go.

My meal plan for two weeks consists of:
  A few new recipes
  A few "convenience meals" (Hamburger helper, frozen pizzas)
  A few traditional favorites (Spaghetti, burgers)
  Two leftovers nights
  One night out


1. Organization
I will be the first to admit that I go a little crazy when there isn't a definite plan. I like order. I like knowing what time I have to be ready and where I need to be. Also, in the sense of going out, I like to know what I should be wearing for said event.
It isn't surprising that I meal plan. I like to know if I need to start supper earlier, or if I need to run to the store to get one item for the meal. If it is a crock-pot recipe I like knowing that I will be around to check on it if needed or at least there to start it at some point in the afterno
on.


2. I save a ton of money.
   I can say that I only go to the grocery store for actual groceries 3 times in a two week time period. This reduces the amount of impulse buys that I have a chance of buying. I also know that I am not buying a ton of extra food that won't get used before it goes bad.
   I also save money because I use the PriceMatcherz website to plan my meals. I look at what is on sale and figure out my meals according to that. This has brought our grocery bill down tremendously. I am guessing that I will be spending about $200 a month, which sounds like a lot for the two of us, but we feast of leftovers for all of our lunches! We also eat very well!

3. Time
  While I do spend a lot of time at home, I don't like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I like to cook, but mostly I like cooking with other people.  As much as I am not a fan of spending time in the kitchen, I HATE grocery shopping. I get stressed out (Ask Matt, he won't go with me anymore) and then I start to buy things that weren't on the list and I just get extremely overwhelmed by the amount of people in the grocery store or the fact that I don't know what I need. With a well planned list, I can usually eliminate some of the stress and a lot of the time that I spend in the grocery store, which is a huge plus for everyone involved.

4. Trying new things.
   I love trying new recipes and adding them to our favorites. I have a huge list of meals that we have made, traditional, convenience and ones that I want to try. I usually pick off of that list. I like cooking and sometimes I don't know my limits. I try to make great things, but usually just end up simplifying it from the recipe if I think the outcome will be the same!
   I think I got that from my grandma, because I do enjoy cooking and baking very much and I hope that someday my recipes turn out to be as good as hers are. I am always willing to try new recipes if I think they are going to be good! Thank you Pinterest for giving me all kinds of ideas for supper!

5. Spending time relaxing
    Most nights when Matt comes home from work at 4:30, I am in the kitchen getting the main part prepped or working on cooking. Knowing what I am making for supper gives me plenty of time to either have it on the table when he gets home from work (depending on how late he is working) or know that I will have enough time after he gets home if we want to eat by 6 (which is usually the goal)
    Since I know what we are having, I don't feel guilty about curling up on the couch or spending some time playing computer games. This also meals that I can spend more time with Matt when he gets home from work and I don't have to worry about meals.



Does your household plan out their meals? Why or Why not? If so, what techniques work best for you?


Join me next week for another Money Saving Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10