Monday, February 18, 2013

QC&H #1: Hamburger Casserole

   Okay, so weekends are always a little crazy, but this one has definitely been up there with the craziest! Last night Sean and I got home and we were STARVING! We had been at work all day and went to his brother's gonna be house. (Long story) Anyway. I was helping Josh fix and clean up until around 8 and Sean was easily there until almost 9. Well when I got home I was definitely not in the mood to cook, and knowing that drill is two weeks away and I need to start watching weight to get to were I needed to be, I was not set out on eating out again.
       I went into our kitchen and tried to come up with something. I decided to make the low carb version of our Hamburger Casserole that Sean and I have made a couple times. We try to rotate our recipes pretty frequently and we are always looking for more, but this is a go to recipe when we are out of ideas.

     It's pretty good and it was about 220 calories per serving. I ate an apple and an orange with it. so my supper calories were right at about 300 last night (Which is typically what a meal should be and not a whole lot more.

      Sorry, I was so tired last night that I forgot to take pictures of each step. I thought I had taken a lot more pictures than I did until I went to upload them and realized I had taken the uploaded one and one of a tomato. I failed on that. Sorry!!
Here is the greatness:


Ingredients:
1 lb of hamburger
1 whole pickle (I think I only used 3/4)
1 whole tomato
Diced onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp mustard
6 slices of cheese



First brown the hamburger. Drain. 

While you are doing this you should dice up the tomato, pickle, and onion into small bits. There is about the sizes I used, but that is up to the cook.

When the hamburger is browned add the pickle, tomato and onion to the hamburger and let it mix together in the pan. I usually stir it around for about 5 minutes..

Then I add the mixture into a casserole dish. I add the ketchup and mustard into the dish and stir it well, trying to evenly coat it the hamburger. (Last night was the first time I did it this way and it turned our really good)

Then smooth it out and add the cheese slices to the top of it. Bake it at 350 degrees for 5 minutes to melt the cheese. 

Simple meal in about 20 minutes. 


You can also add crescent rolls to the top of the casserole and make it even more like a cheeseburger, but that adds up the calories and the carbs. (But it is still very good)

I know one of my friends is always looking for recipes that are quick, easy, cheap, and good for a person who can burn macaroni. (: That's my goal is to find recipes that don't cost too much, are still healthy, and don't take a million hours and a lot of know how to make them.

Here is recipe number one of a series of Quick, Cheap and Healthy!    

Here is the cost of this meal:

1 lb Hamburger:
 (We buy in rolls of ten @ 2.49/lb.)      
 = 2.49
Jar of pickles:
     Kept in the fridge for a low cal snack(Probably cost around
        2 Bucks a jar for 6(about) pickles)
  =.33
Tomato:
   I believe they were priced matched this time around
=.99
Ketchup and mustard were kept in the fridge. 
       For what you use ( Just a guess on it.)
=.25
Kraft singles
   @1.99 for 16
     For 6 of them
=.75

4.81 For the entire dish and it serves 6. That makes it at just about .80 per serving. Now. I know that you may not have everything in the house (pickles, ketchup, mustard) so it will be a little more than that. 4.81 is a heck of a lot less than eating fast food. 

Lets use McDonald's (Just because I know the prices and I want to prove my point about fast food.) 

The price of our lowest meal, the number 6, is 3.84 after tax. That is 7.68 for both of you.
(assuming you are feeding you and one other person like I am.) But it is hardly ever ordered. 

Our highest priced meal, Angus meals, is 6.20 after tax. That would be 12.20 for two.

That averages at 9.94 (7.68+12.20 /2) 
So even if you did have to by pickles at 2 bucks and I know you can get a bottle of ketchup for 1 dollar.

That still only puts you at 7.81 for this entire meal. You will save $2.13 and you will have leftovers unless you are feeding more than 2. 

So there you go. This is why eating at home saves money. Thanks for reading through all of the math (which is probably over doing it and for the rest of the series I will just post the prices of each item and the total meal and per serving) I just wanted to show how it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10